Tuesday, November 18, 2014

PH happens again!

I was cruising along in life happy, healthy (for me) and enjoying my experiences that made me forget I have a chronic, incurable disease called Pulmonary Hypertension when BAM, the doctor said line infection and sepsis!

I have had my current line in my chest since 2011. I have been having amazing hall walks and echoes that resulted from lower pressures than in the past. I began to feel like I wasn't sick.

That was until a few weeks ago when I spiked a fever and went to the hospital. After lots of blood work and blood cultures that came back negative, I was told I had a tunnel infection in my central line. I did oral antibiotics for a couple weeks. The infection seemed gone. Then it flared up last week with high temps and pain in my site with drainage and redness. I knew what it meant.

My wonderful husband drove me to U of M hospital 3 hours from home and I was admitted. The whole thing was traumatic even though I have been on Veletri 12 years. The ivs, blood draws, cultures and the PICC line really take it out of me physically and mentally. By day 3 in the hospital I get emotional and moody with the doctors. I want to go home! After 5 days they pulled my central line, started iv antibiotics got the infection under control and I got to go home doing the iv antibiotics through my PICC line 3 times a day.

It has taken some time to get my mojo back. I have been home a few days and I am starting to finally feel like my self. It is in these moments of sickness that I realize that PH is never going away. I will continue to be sick the rest of my life. But I will continue to cruise through my life enjoying these amazing experiences with my family and loved ones regardless of my illness because PH is not me. Yea, there will be time of sickness and stress, but I have to stay strong and know that God will keep pulling me through as he did last week. Each set back is a learning experience, a step to grow as a person.

Thanks to all my friends and family who sent me messages of encouragement and prayers. They really made a difference to me. That support helps pull me through.

Now, I am off on my next adventure. Catching up on house work, and picking up my teenager from school. I absolutely love my life!!





1 comment: