Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Hickman




This is my Hickman Central line. As of today I have had 4 in the last 8 years. The others were taken out due to infection. They are not too painful to put in, it's the healing time that is painful. Once in, I can't feel it and I live life as normal as I can. I clean the site a couple times a week with a cloraprep dressing kit. I change my lines on a biweekly basis also. My loop under the Tegaderm dressing is to prevent pulling the line out in case I pull on it. I am not suppose to get it wet but with showers it's impossible to not get it wet. On occasion I get a site infection with redness, pain and puss but those go away with antibiotics. I sometimes ketch my lines on everything like chairs, the dog, bowling balls, tables, my own body... It's become a comedy act at home, as my daughter and hubby lovingly call it my leash. All my friends and family are even cautious with me and my pump. I even sometimes go swimming in a pool with my husband holding my pump while I swim and doggy paddle around the pool. The pump is not allowed to get wet so swimming is a no no. I never follow rules! LOL I am not going to let a tube in my chest and a battery powered pump on my hip run my life. I am thankful that the medicine inside the pump has given me my life back, but it doesn't hold me back from being a good mom and wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment